Thursday, July 19, 2007

Mr. Funky's Super Crochet Wonderful

is just exactly that: super crochet wonderful.

Last week I found myself at Barnes and Noble while my nine-year-old was at sailing lessons. I had stopped in for reasons unrelated to crochet, but I cruised past the craft section, just in case there was something new that I hadn't seen. How fortuitous for me that on this particular day I took the time to peruse the crochet/knitting section despite the fact that I had done so at this very Barnes and Noble within the previous seven days. There on the shelf, beckoning to me, was a predominantly purplish maroon book with limey green letters that proclaimed "Super Crochet Wonderful."

I can't really describe the feeling that washed over me when I looked over the book, but it only took me a few seconds to determine that I was going to buy it. The book was so cute, I would have bought it even if I didn't have a 10% discount card.

I like everything about the book:the amigurumi that populate the cover and the first half of the inside of the book; the way the author, Narumi Ogawa, encourages the reader to expore all the possibilities of crochet; the impeccably clear directions and cool charts.

So, is the book as great as it looks? I set out to test the patterns myself this afternoon as I said lakeside at sailing lessons. Armed with my 3.75mm Skacel crochet hook and a skein of Red Heart Supersaver worsted weight warm brown yarn, I tried out the pattern for "Sebsastian le Hamster." I am happy to report that the directions were easy to follow, and had I remembered to bring along stuffing, eyes, a nose, contrast yarn for the hands, feet, and muzzle, as well as a jaunty orange for the beret, I would have been able to complete the hamster with time to spare. Not being that organized, the hamster is in my bag and mostly done.

I will definitely be experimenting with more of the patterns in this book. If you want to check out the author's website, she can be found at http://misterfunky.com/index.html


Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger lilmommacass said...

I love that book! this is lilmommacass from ravelry...

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home